[Samba] Automount homes via smb question

Mike Ely samba at phoenix.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 6 04:39:01 GMT 2003

On Nov 5, 2003, at 5:30 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
*snip*
>> What I need to get working:
>> A switch so that any domain user logging on will automatically have
>> home mapped to their share on the win2k server (we have 3 fileservers
>> for the user accounts).
>>
>> In an earlier message, Jerry pointed me to pam_mount.so, which I see
>> in
>> /lib/security, but I don't have any documentation on how to use it,
>> and
>> so far google hasn't brought any joy either.  Can someone help?
>
> This is all quite possible, but we need to do a bit of work to
> intergrate the components.  Currently pam_winbind can't tell pam_mount
> what server to mount, for example.  Also, we have the problem of
> special files over CIFS - your Win2k server probably will not like
> attemptes to create symbolic links.
>
> At the very least what we need to do is modify pam_winbind to store a
> token containing the homedir location, for pam_mount to pinch.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Ok.  Before I start digging into the source I wanted to ask if this is
an appropriate question to put to samba-technical.  Also, to clarify,
when you use the word "we" here, are you referring to you and I, or you
and the rest of the intrepid Samba team?  While I will happily do what
I can, I'm not sure that I'd be much help when it comes to editing much
more than a shell script =]

Mike

PS: It would be exciting to see this work - unlike what seems to me to
be the majority of posters here, my primary interest in Samba is as a
client to integrate Linux desktops into existing AD infrastructure
(before replacing it entirely, of course;).

---