[Samba] Automount homes via smb question

Mike Ely samba at phoenix.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 6 00:36:05 GMT 2003

I'm working on a client setup for thin-client machines in an AD with
about 2000 users.  One of the requirements is that the server (an LTSP
box) not store each and every user's home directory.  All of our users
have a Home Folder setting in their AD object, and I'd like to use
samba to mount that as "home."

What works now:
smbd, nmbd, winbindd.  Compiled Samba 3.0 onto a SuSE 9.0 box and have
all the basic stuff configured.  KDM lists all of the domain users
"DOMAIN+username" and I can su to any of them from the shell.  If I try
to login to a KDE session, it won't work of course, because there's no
home directory.  But auth works right - if I give a bogus password, I
get failed login error =]
Also, smbmount and smbclient work right, either with kerberos or via
login prompt.

What I need to get working:
A switch so that any domain user logging on will automatically have
home mapped to their share on the win2k server (we have 3 fileservers
for the user accounts).

In an earlier message, Jerry pointed me to pam_mount.so, which I see in
/lib/security, but I don't have any documentation on how to use it, and
so far google hasn't brought any joy either.  Can someone help?

Thanks!

Mike

---