[Samba] Unable to connect to a Samba server using a Microsoft Dos Client

Ludovic Ishiomin lishiomin at free.fr
Wed Nov 5 16:55:03 GMT 2003

Hello,

I use a home made floppy to connect to a samba file server.
The floppy is a Caldera DOS with the Microsoft Lan Manager Client.

A:\NET>net ver
Microsoft Network Management Dos Client. Version 3.11

And in the autoexec.bat file, there is a line :

net start basic

I cannot replace with with 'net start full' because there is not enough memory.

When I connect on my samba server, the DOS client asks me a password and reject with
'Error 086 : The specified network password is incorrect'

I can connect to a WinNT file server without any problems.

My Samba server is a debian 3.0 and samba version 2.2.3a-12.3 (package from debian recompiled with acl support on xfs filesystem).

Here is the log :

[2003/11/05 12:44:02, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1572)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user ISHIOMINL in domain  to Domain controller SRVPDC. Error was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

Here is the important directives in the smb.conf file :

workgroup = INSERM_NT
security = domain
encrypt password = true
password server = SRVPDC SRVBDC # Here are my primary and my backup WinNT 4 domain controller

I don't have any problems connecting to the samba server with a Win2k Workstation. The acl support with xfs works well.

I think the problems comes from encrypted passwords, but I'm not sure.
I've tried to change 'security = server' as it is said in http://www.math.u-szeged.hu/hardsoft/hsdetail.htm#DOSCLI_INSTALL but it does not change anything.

Here is the answer I got from "Haidenthaler Klaus" <k.haidenthaler at softpoint.at> (I first post this question but not from the address I subscribed to the lists)

>Hello,
>
>first of all, why don't you skip over re-inventing the wheel and
>try Bart Lagerweij's Bootdisk -> www.nu2.nu
>
>we've got a rather nifty setup running with it (we test / preload our
>machines with this)

I will give a try to these bootdisk, but from the description I suspect it is based on the same version of DOS drivers.

>if your setup is for a lab or test-environment, why not just put in a
>second nic in your server and start another smb/nmb process just for
>thie separate lan?

That's not possible for me.

>sorry for being so short but i'm kinda in a hurry right now...
>
>don't hesitate to ask more questions about.

I can give more information if needed.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Ludovic Ishiomin.