[Samba] Samba system freeze on bootup...

Brad sambauser at capstone.net.au
Tue Nov 4 21:51:15 GMT 2003

I am using a RH9 workstation and server and have a small network of
WIndows/Linux PCs. I have created a directory /Windows/U and put an entry
in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

smbmount //<servername>/data /Windows/U
-orw,credentials=/etc/samba/sysid,uid=<uid>,gid=<gid>,fmask=770,dmask=770

This works fine and I can read/write to the SMB share with no problems.

However, if I put a SECOND entry in the rc.local file, to map another
share on the same or any other server, my PC freezes on boot. I have been
able to telnet in from another PC and a ps -ax reveals that there are TWO
versions of the above smbmount command trying to run, plus the other one
to map the other SMB share. I just kill off one of the duplicate set and
the system unfreezes and completes starting up, with the share connections
activated.

I feel that it may have something to do with timing, where the second
smbmount line is run before the first one is completed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there another (better) way to
implement smb share connections on startup?

Regards,
Brad