[Samba] unable to open passdb database.

Ben Kim bkim at edsun.coe.tamu.edu
Tue Nov 4 20:51:20 GMT 2003

I found many questions but no answers on the web.

I described my needs in earlier post, but now switched from security =
domain to security = server, and designated the AD domain server as the
password server.

It works as desired, i.e. I don't need smbpasswd any more, and if windows
users change their passwords by ctrl-alt-del, they can later use the new
password without coming to admins.

However, I find that this is unreliable, because after password change,
the 2nd logon to share, or logon from another machine, fails with this
message in smbd's log.

[2003/11/04 14:32:48, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwnam(1369)
  unable to open passdb database.

I'd appreciate some advice.

Regards,
Ben