[Samba] Can't browse Samba 3.0 domain member shares

Eddie temp_storage2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 20:21:01 GMT 2003

More fully, the problem is that when I restrict which workstations a user
can log onto (via the User Manager from srvtools.exe), the user cannot
browse the samba 3.0 member server (or use the printer).

Our domain includes a Samba 3.0 PDC, a Samba 3.0 member server (security =
domain), and 2K/XP workstations.  When I use the srvtools User Manger to
restrict the workstations (to a specified list) that a user may log on to,
the users cannot browse the shares of the samba member server (clients
receive a "You are not authorized to log on from this workstation" when they
try to access the machine).  I've made sure that the list of workstations
includes the name of the samba member server, but they still cannot access
it.  Only by changing (through User Manager) to allow the user permissions
to "log on to any workstation," can I allow them to access the shares of the
member server.

I wanted to know if this is a known bug or a problem that others have
encountered, or if it's a configuration problem (perhaps the samba 3.0
member server's configuration).  If it is the latter I can provide the
details of my configuration.

Thanks
Ed