[Samba] very odd behavior for concurrent file access in Samba3.0.0 with MS Word

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Nov 4 16:22:13 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:22:34PM +0200, Vladuta Cristian wrote:

> Leaving all locks/oplocks by default, there is no way of preventing a second MSWord user from opening  an already open file with no warning message (in a MS network the message would normally be " ..test.doc is already open by ...Do you want to make a copy?")!! No such thing with Samba, as the second user might waist hours on editing an already open file just ending with no results!! Don't you think this is stupid?
>
> How can you advert other users that a file is already open in such situations?  I just want to avoid confusion and make the transition from a Windows file server to Samba transparent.

Samba behaves identically to Windows 2000 in this regard
(keeping deny modes on shares). If your application behaves
one way with a W2K server it should behave exactly the
same with Samba. Indeed this is part of our test process.

MS Word does indeed isue this warning against Samba 3.0.

I'm not sure of the problem you're experiencing but please
be aware Samba is coded to give the same response as Windows.

Jeremy.