SV: [Samba] Samba-Citrix compatability

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 4 11:15:06 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:46:00AM +0100, perkjetil.grotnes at pbe.oslo.kommune.no wrote:
> > From: Andrew Bartlett [mailto:abartlet at samba.org]
> > > - Compilation issues regarding Citrix/metaframe
> > > - - ie the need to increase the MAX_CONNECTION setting before
> > > compilation
> > Please file a bug against this.  There is no valid reson for
> > us to allow 2^16 session setups, but only 2^8 tree connects.
>
> Hmm, The "bug" I tried to refere to is the "smbd/conn.c: #define
> MAX_CONNECTIONS".
> If you have Citrix/Metaframe the default value (128? 256?) is way to
> low.
> This would be the max amount of "connections" from a single machine,
> right?
>
> Quote from "conn.c" :
> /* set these to define the limits of the server. NOTE These are on a
> per-client basis. Thus any one machine can't connect to more than
> MAX_CONNECTIONS services, but any number of machines may connect at
> one time. */
>
> On each of our Citrix servers we can have up to 100 users all connecting
> to 10 shares
> on the samba server = 1000 connections 'services' for that one citrix
> server?

I know all this. Now all I need is for you to write it up in
bugzilla.samba.org so we can remmember to get it fixed.

> > > - the home-share issue and problem
> > What is this one in particular?
>
> Well, I am not sure this is a bug.  More of an issue.
>
> If you use
>
> [home-disk]
> path = /home/%U/

This is always a bad idea...

> and profile path in user manager in windows mapping H: to
> \\server\home-disk
>
> You would get serious problems with files having the same name on two
> home-dirs.  It would be a locking problem on the windows side.
>
> User1 opens "iloveyou.doc" on his home-dir for writing would yield a
> \\server\home-disk\iloveyou.doc lock.
> User2 opens "iloveyou.doc" on her home-dir and windows would think this
> was the same \\server\home-disk\iloveyou.doc and get a message the file
> was locked.  Even though these were
>
> /home/user1/iloveyou.doc and
> /home/user2/iloveyou.doc.
>
> The fix is to use
>
> [homes]
> path = /home/%S
>
> And a user manager profile H: mapping to \\server\%username%
>
> Thus the path above would not (for windows) be:
>
> \\server\user1\iloveyou.doc and
> \\server\user2\iloveyou.doc
>
> In most other environments other than Citrix this would not be a problem
> (ie w2k workstation clients).

You would be supprised.  Even with non-citrix setups, we get multiple
%U mappings, and all the resultant fun.

> > > All these issues, and probably more, I feel are related to
> > > Citrix/metaframe vs. Samba.  If I am wrong and somewhere there is a
> > > FAQ regarding this then all the better.  Just need to find
> > it. ;-)  If
> > > not then it is most neeeded.
> > So, when can we expect the patch (seriously, if you can get
> > it started, you might just tempt some of our poor
> > documentation slaves.)
>
> We have run Samba since about '97 with Citrix winframe/metaframe.  It
> works.  But there still are issues.
> I keep an eye on all Citrix/Metaframe posts on this mailinglist and I
> mean I have seen some attempts of patches for Citrix.  But unfortunatly
> nothing that has stuck to anywhere reachable (FAQ).
>
> We have tuned the samba installation compilation, unix-settings and
> smb.conf so that it now works fairly well.  We still have some weird
> "cannot save" happenings once a day or so, but nothing really critical.
> I must admit that we are still running 2.2.6 since from the changelog
> for 2.2.8 we could not find any related fixes to Citrix problems.

The main issue is the security fixes.  But can you write down what you
have learnt?

Andrew Bartlett