SV: [Samba] Samba-Citrix compatability

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 4 09:26:56 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:11:00AM +0100, perkjetil.grotnes at pbe.oslo.kommune.no wrote:
> I have searched for some FAQ/HOWTO regarding Citrix/Metaframe to no
> avail.  (Like this one
> http://samba.org/~jht/HOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf )
>
> What I would like to see in such a FAQ/HOWTO:
>
> - Compilation issues regarding Citrix/metaframe
> - - ie the need to increase the MAX_CONNECTION setting before
> compilation

Please file a bug against this.  There is no valid reson for us to
allow 2^16 session setups, but only 2^8 tree connects.

> - - ie how to compile samba to a 64 bit application to get more
> available file descriptors (problem for solaris)
> - the need to tweak the /etc/system settings (ie "set rlim_fd_max =
> <number>")
> - oplocks settings in smb.conf
> - the single smbd process issue and workaround(s) (wins and
> DNS-proxy/netbios names?)
> - the home-share issue and problem

What is this one in particular?

> All these issues, and probably more, I feel are related to
> Citrix/metaframe vs. Samba.  If I am wrong and somewhere there is a FAQ
> regarding this then all the better.  Just need to find it. ;-)  If not
> then it is most neeeded.

So, when can we expect the patch (seriously, if you can get it
started, you might just tempt some of our poor documentation slaves.)

> And Samba4?  What is this? :-) Due 2005?

A research project, that has stripped out all the basic assumptions
from Samba, and is building it all from scratch again.  Very
interesting.  The very brave can check out the samba4 repository, but
it's not something even close to functional yet (the posix backend -
ie, access to a unix filesystem is yet to be reimplemeted).

Andrew Bartlett