[Samba] No Printer!

martin at sterling2000.co.uk martin at sterling2000.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 09:23:17 GMT 2003

Please please help!

I have a Redhat server 7.2. It has been running fine for nearly 18 months.

I recently changed the IP on this computer and am now unable to use the printer via Samba.

The printer is fine on the local box and prints without hesitation.

If I add an new printer on a windows box and browse for it it shows up under the Samba share and even allows me to install. However when I try to print I get the error

'There was an error writing to \\redhatsamba\NewXeroxP12 for the printer[Xerox Docuprint P12]:
There was a problem printing to the port.
Check to make sure your printer is configured to use a valid port.
This printer will be set to work offline.
To save your print job in the local printer queue, click OK.'

I have removed the queue on the linux box and reintroduced the printer and tested it. It works fine.

I have removed the drivers on the windows boxes and reinstalled but still get the same error.

As this server has been working OK for 18 months and printing from anywhere on the network the change of IP must have affected something.

Does anybody know how to cure this problem as we have been unable to use the printer for over a month now.

Thanks

Martin Hickling