[Samba] Samba printing, I just don't get it

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Tue Nov 4 08:06:27 GMT 2003

I'm sorry for asking a really newbie question here.  But I'm just
missing something I guess.  I've read the HOWTO for 3.0.0 and either I
missed it or I just didn't understand it.

I have 3.0.1Pre1 on RH 9 "Machine A" working as a domain controller with
a win2000 SP4 box.  I made a USB local CUPS printer on RH 9 "Machine B".
  I made a remote CUPS printer on "A" that prints to "B" just fine.  How
do I get the Win2000 machine "C" to print to the printer on "B"? I can
see the printer share from Win2000.  I can't connect to it though, it
says I have insufficient access.  I try to create a "network" printer
and use \\Machine A\dot but again insufficient access.  I'm logged in as
root on the win2k box, in the TESTDOM domain. I also don't understand
what parameter to put into smb.conf to actually print to the CUPS
printer.  What am I missing here?  How do you add the printer from the
Windows side?  Or do you just connect to it?  My samba.log shows this
when trying to connect:

[2003/11/03 23:58:26, 0] smbd/service.c:set_admin_user(321)
   root logged in as admin user (root privileges)
[2003/11/03 23:58:27, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_queue_get(889)
   Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/dot -
client-error-not-found

Here is my smb.conf for printing:

[global]

         workgroup = TESTDOM
         netbios name = blue
         security = user
         server string = Samba Server
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         load printers = yes

         log file = /var/log/samba.log
         log level = 2
         max log size = 50000
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -n -g machines -c
Machine -d /dev /null -s /bin/false %u
         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u

         local master = Yes
         os level = 65
         domain master = yes
         preferred master = yes
         domain logons = yes
         admin users = root
         csc policy = disable
         logon script = logon.bat
         logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
         logon drive = H:
         printing = cups
         printcap name = cups

  [printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         browseable = no
         # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
         guest ok = yes
         writable = yes
         public = yes
         printable = yes
         printer admin = root, douglas

[dot]
         comment = Printer with Restricted Access
         path = /var/spool/samba_my_printer
         printer admin = root, douglas
         browseable = yes
         printable = yes