[Samba] HowTo Chapter12 Group Mapping and LDAP

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at ims-tpa.com
Mon Nov 3 22:22:44 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have a question about the documentation of the Samba Howto's.  Specifically, I am not able to understand how group mapping ties into LDAP.  I believe I understand the concept of unix to windows group mapping as laid out in chapter 12 as it relates a tdbsam, but get confused when dealing with a ldapsam back-end.  There is a note listed " When the passdb back-end uses LDAP (ldapsam) it is the administrators' responsibility to create the essential Domain Groups, and assign each its default RID."  I am not sure what this note is to infer? Does "net groupmap" handle things or do I manually have to configure via LDIF entries?

I have read chapters 1-12, 21, 25 of the howtos as well as Samba PDC LDAP howto by Ignacio Coupeau.  Is there another document I am missing or am I just not getting it?  I have not posted config files or system specifics because I feel this is more a problem understanding the concepts not configuring the system. If someone could either point me in the right direction or explain what I am missing I would be very much appreciate it(yes I realize that was an extremely open-ended plea for help).  It seems to me that the documentation regarding Samba & LDAP was very verbose up to this point, but then trails off a little bit in chapter 12  regarding configuring LDAP(maybe it's just me?)  Anyhow thanks go out to all those on the documentation project.

Matt Pusateri
Systems Administrator
Interactive Medical Systems, Inc.