[Samba] Slow reads of large video files with a few clients connected

rruegner robowarp at gmx.de
Mon Nov 3 18:28:40 GMT 2003

Hi, i had really big files on my samba up to 2 gigs and more , no problem
here
with samba 3, i also have a video server ,
in my samba files are stored from xawdecode with avi divx, and ffmpeg in
several
formats ( ffmpeg is really the best solution ,try it ).
After all smb network protokoll is as it is, but there is other thing which
might relate
which partition type do you use? i recommend ext3.
and there are many things which you have to know about mpeg, avi files which
related in their performance with different kind of players.
You can also get in problems with your network /....100 Mb maybe to slow
try 1000 Mb and if you have more clients reading and writing same files
( maybe there is a firewall involved ? )
Did set the right hdparm for you storage device? ( does  it use dma ? )
you should use raid 1 or stripped devices with a valid raid scsi or ide raid
controller devices
this will speed up read writing act on the storage.
So you see there a many thing involved in performance not even smb you have
to check
all this things to tune up
study perfomance features in smb.conf this may help too.
kill other deamons on the samba server which you might not need.
top will give you info about processes which are running.
After all i would use ffmpeg to catch my files from /dev/video direct to the
linux machine
there are good projects on the web which have a full working multimedia
solution on linux
mythtv freevo etc.
at last do you use latest kernel and samba versions?
My setup is based on knoppix a wintv card and it works like charme for
streaming storing
playing any kind of multimedia files.
Best Regards