[Samba] XP Home and Samba? and: two network cards?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Nov 3 14:55:33 GMT 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Markus VORPAHL wrote:

> > http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
> >
> > It might help you. If not, tell us what we left out or what is not clear.
> > Most of it applies to Samba-2.2.x, but I'd advise you to update to
> > samba-3.0.x anyhow.
> >
> > - John T.
>
> That was helpful, thanks!
> Looked through it and tried it out:
>
> wins support = yes

Having specified that your samba server should be a WINS server, you
should also set the IP address of your Samba server as the WINS server in
the TCP/IP settings on all your Windows clients.

> domain master browser = true
> local master browser = true
> preferred master browser = yes

These settings are not necessary, they are automatically handled by samba.

> remote announce = 192.168.0.255

This should not be necessary if samba is a WINS server.

> How do I define the two subnets, is this a samba or a linux networking
> issue? Are there IP numbering problems to expect?

Samba is just a set of services that run over TCP/IP. You need to
configure your TCP/IP networking correctly. Samba can not correct bad
TCP/IP configuration.

> It still does not work, the XP stations don't see anything (net view, or
> in Network Neighbourhood). NMBD on 'server' calls for election of local
> master browser, triggered by call from 'st06', the one station connected
> through the eth1 (a 10B100 onboard ethernet, with IP 192.168.0.10). The
> other stations, connected through eth0 (a BNC ethernet PCI card, with IP
> 192.168.0.1) are well.

If both network cards are installed in your Samba server, then each
network card must be configured for a different subnet. For example:

Card	IP Address	Network
---	----------	---------------
eth0	192.168.0.1	192.168.0.0/24
eth1	192.168.1.0	192.168.1.0/24

> The server works only as file server, the stations need to read and
> write shared files on it, not recognise each other - in fact, they
> should not.

I do not understand what you are trying to communicate here.

> I should read through the doccumentation again!

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org