[Samba] XP joining domain - problem

Mike vje at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 3 05:55:31 GMT 2003

Hi,

Here's my config file.  I checked the error log and I have pasted that
below my smb.conf file.

I've tried everything in the HowTo and keep getting the same error
message
-read through
-checked with testparm
-applied registry patch for WinXP

Any help you'd be willing to assist me with would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Here's the smb.conf file

=====START SMB.CONF===========

#Samba configuration file
#Last updated 11/1/03
[global]
        ;basic server settings
        workgroup = sea
        netbios name = srv1
        server string = Samba PDC running %v
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
        ;PDC and master browser settings
        os level = 64
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes
        ;security and logging settings
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        domain logons = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 2
        max log size = 50
        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
        ;user profiles
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
        logon drive = H:
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        ;logon script
        logon script = netlogon.bat

        ;sync UNIX passwords
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Enter*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd: *all*
authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

#====Shares======

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes

[profiles]
        path = /home/samba/profiles
        writeable = yes
        browseable = no
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
        path = /home/netlogon
        read only = yes
        write list = @admin

====END SMB.CONF=============

Here's the windows-side error log:

The domain name sea might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service
location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for
domain sea:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.sea

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
child zone:

sea
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.