[Samba] File Permission Question

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Mon Nov 3 03:39:36 GMT 2003

>>I need the group to be set to the group that has permission to the
>>share, so that other users can edit my files.

Try using force group.

<snip from man smb.conf>
       force group (S)
	      This  specifies  a  UNIX group name that will be assigned as
the
	      default primary group for all users connecting to this
service.
	      This  is useful for sharing files by ensuring that all access
	      files on service will use the named group for their
permissions
	      checking.	 Thus,	by assigning permissions for this group to
the
	      files and directories within this service the Samba
administraaEUR?
	      tor can restrict or allow sharing of these files.

	      In Samba 2.0.5 and above this parameter has extended
functionalaEUR?
	      ity in the following way. If the group name listed  here	has
	      aEUR(tm)+aEUR(tm)  character  prepended	 to it then the
current user accessing
	      the share only has the primary group default  assigned  to
this
	      group  if	 they  are already assigned as a member of that
group.
	      This allows an administrator to decide that only users  who
are
	      already  in a particular group will create files with group
ownaEUR?
	      ership set to that group. This gives a finer granularity of
ownaEUR?
	      ership  assignment.  For example, the setting force group =
+sys
	      means that only users who are already in	group  sys  will
have
	      their  default primary group assigned to sys when accessing
this
	      Samba share. All other users will retain their ordinary
primary
	      group.

	      If  the  force user parameter is also set the group specified
in
	      force group will override the primary group set in force user.

	      See also force user.
</snip>

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate