[Samba] Re: XP Home and Samba? and: two network cards?

Dan Bar Daniel.Bar at seznam.cz
Sun Nov 2 07:43:47 GMT 2003

Markus Vorpahl wrote:

> I applied the SignOrSeal registry change manually, but still no shares.
> Until now, in smb.conf there was security = user set, so there was no domain
> logon by the WIN98 stations either. Reading the text in http://samba.kn.vutbr.cz/samba/devel/docs/html/domain-member.html:
> if I only want to share shares, files and printers, let people read and
> write, is domain logon really needed? Aparently, until now there was none..

We were just guessing. If you use only Win9x and WinXP home, then you do
not need to set up a Samba as Primary Domain Controller. These MS OSs
cannot take an advantage of use of domains. Its only usefull in case you
use Win2k or XP Pro as desktop OS.

> [global]
> workgroup = BAERSCH
> netbios name = server
> security = user
> os level = 65
>
> In fact, the problem might be related to the fact that the running win98
> stations are still connected to the BNC ethernet card in the server, without
> any WINS server installed, whereas I need to connect the XP stations to
> another card. Perhaps I should upgrade to 2.2.8a, and then set up a WINS
> server - any suggestions where I find documentation on this?

Yet missing exact info about XP disfunctionality. So I must guess:

1. Can you ping from XP desktops to Samba server IP and 98 desktops ?
(if no, then start here, in case needed to access XP <-> 98, set
ip_forwarding on Samba server), are you using DIFFERENT IP subnets for
each Samba interface? - very important)

2. if 1=true, check Samba with Windows's nbtstat utility, by running
nbtstat -A IP_ADDRESS_of_samba from XP (or 98) you should get NetBIOS
info about Samba.

Something like this (just example from my net):

     DAN            <00>  UNIQUE      Registrovaný
     DAN            <20>  UNIQUE      Registrovaný
     DAN-GROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registrovaný
     DAN-GROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registrovaný
     DAN-GROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registrovaný
     ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registrovaný

If you get number "YOUR_MACHINE_NAME <20>", then Samba proclaims itself
as file/printer server, thats good.

More info about this is here (url of TC is bellow):
http://samba.kn.vutbr.cz/samba/docs/using_samba/ch01.html

3. if 2=success, then you should be able to mount Samba shares from XP
by use of command "net use X: \\IP_ADDRESS_OF_SAMBA\share_name" using X:
as destination drive to use for share (e.g. net use x: \\192.168.0.1\home)

-------------------

# You should add/modify your smb.conf for this:

wins support = yes
# and do not forget to tell clients to use wins server running by samba
time server = yes
local master = yes
os level = 99
dns proxy = yes
preferred master = yes

# after you setup this, then nbtstat command run against samba should
display <1D> in list = samba is master browser

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes

interfaces =
bind interfaces only = no

# info about optins is on smb.conf manpage

A VERY GOOD book about Samba is this (I red it and would recommend it!):
http://samba.kn.vutbr.cz/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html

and possibly go to a Samba home page, and look into Documentation section.
http://samba.kn.vutbr.cz/samba/samba.html

(or better go to www.samba.org and choose mirror that's closer to you)
(and - more than enough doc is also in /usr/share/doc/samba*)

Bye

Dan