[Samba] Re: Samba on ReiserFS

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Sat Nov 1 18:15:48 GMT 2003

>>O.K., I am not bound to ReiserFS, but I want to use a journaling
>>file system
>>and ACLs. What filesystems would You recommend? Or does somebody know a
>>solution for the problem with the ReiserFS?
> I'm using XFS (currently 2.4.21 vanilla with XFS 1.3 patch) and I can
> recommend it. Stable, fast and feature rich. Prior to start using of
> journalling fs I made some "research" over net. And found XFS (comparing
> to ext3, ReiserFS, JFS) - IMHO - the best one.

We've also been using XFS for years and I second the recommendation.  It is
journalized, supports ACLs and other EA, support dynamic resizing (if used
alongside LVM) and has excellent support tools.  Remember that your backup
solution needs to support ACLs/EA as well as your filesystem.  The XFS tools
have been very reliable.

XFS performance is excellent, and we haven't seen any degradation over time like
we see with ext2/3.