[Samba] XP Home and Samba? and: two network cards?

Markus Vorpahl markus.vorpahl at epost.de
Sat Nov 1 10:09:46 GMT 2003

Two questions concerning our small (six machines) network around a Samba
2.2.3a server:

-  I cannot make the XP home boxes find the samba server. We wanted to replace
some old desktops with new ones and bought them with XP home installed.
While they can see the other win98 machines on the network - and these machines
still work with the server - they do not see the samba server. I used the
same settings as with Win98, same IP, same gateway, same workgroup, only
that XP does not accept a username identical to the machine name. Is it
right that only XP pro works with Samba? Anyone found a workaround?

- I cannot get Samba to run on two interfaces even if I put both IPs into
the smb.conf. On this network, there is one machine with a BNC Connector
I would like to keep (its a long cable through down three floors I do not
want to touch). What did I miss out?

Thanks for any help!

Markus Vorpahl