[Samba] Re: [ACL] granting modify but not delete permission to a file

Dan Bar Daniel.Bar at seznam.cz
Sat Nov 1 07:18:14 GMT 2003

Oliver Schulze L. wrote:

> Hi.
> In WinXP I can setup the permission of a file so that a user can modify
> the file,
> but he can not delete the file.
> I wonder if this is posible in Linux + ACL patch + Samba 3.0 compilled
> with --with-acl?

In posix ACL is no equivalent to Windows's "enable/disable delete"
attribute. Generally, if user have write access to a directory he can
delete/rename file even he is not an owner of file. The only way to
prevent him from this is to set a sticky bit on a directory containing
your files. It tells to Linux - "only the owner of file can
delete/rename it". Access rights of others then depend on rwx/ ACL settings.

Dan

Some info:

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/lpt/22_06.html
http://www.linuxguruz.com/foldoc/foldoc.php?sticky+bit