[Samba] Help! WinXP failed to logon via Samba

Monte Lin fake.monte at hinet.net
Fri May 30 08:00:57 GMT 2003

I got a NT PDC and an Samba server (ver. 2.2.3a) that participates in the domain
'NT_DOMAIN'.

The Samba server provide file and print sharing to my private network, but it
authenticates user indirectly via the 'NT_1' PDC.

All the PC clients (Win98) were configured to logon to "workgroup" instead of
domain.This has been always fine until some guies brought in XP Home Edition
(pre-installed in there own new notebook).

Though I had configures these XPs to participate in the 'NT_DOMAIN' workgroup,
they failed to logon to my samba server.

The following is the log file from 'smbd':

smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1572)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user vcPM1 in domain
DEBBY-NB to Domain controller NT-1. Error was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.

The strange thing is that the reported domain name is 'DEBBY-NB' (in fact, this
is the machine name of the client PC)  instead of 'NT_DOMAIN' . Is the XP client
incorrectly tried to logon using this domain name or Samba is not able to
correctly decode the logon request message from XP ?

The following is excerpt from the relevant settings in my samba.conf file.

   protocol = NT1
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   printing = bsd