[Samba] Help getting SAMBA running

Chris Wallick chris.wallick at verizon.net
Sun May 25 17:11:36 GMT 2003

Hello all -
I am a severe newbe when it comes to LINUX or SAMBA but I have attempted
to get SAMBA running on a RED HAT 9.0 box that I have just brought up on
my home network. It will be my dedicated APACHE server and right now I
am trying to get SAMBA running so I can connect to the Windows server
and clients that exsist on the network.
I have had to manually edit the smb.conf file as SWAT is not a compiled
part of this version of SAMBA. After going through the manual editing
process as explained in several technical references I have the
following error when I checked the status of my smb service
" [chris at Gandolph chris]$ smbstatus

Samba version 2.2.7a
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting"

Can you help me Obewan Kenobe?