[Samba] Ugly bug in Samba

Maciej Huetter mhuetter at abmsolid.com.pl
Mon May 26 10:51:47 GMT 2003

Hi!

Probably I found a very ugly bug. I tried to delete a directory named
'*' from a folder shared from a Linux server. The name of the directory
shown in Windows was ~0%. When I deleted the file, ALL FILES IN FOLDER
WHERE DELETED!!! (Except other directories.)
Than I got an error 'access denied'. The directory '*' wasn't deleted.
When I tried to delete this directory once again, all went ok.

myserver:~# /usr/sbin/smbd -V
Version 2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian

C:\Windows>ver
Windows 95. [Version 4.00.1111]

(Windows 95OSR2)

Best,
Maciek

P.S. I know that I shouldn't have created the files with such strange
names, but it was only the test. I wanted to know how Samba handles such
names. And now I know. :)