[Samba] Printing. The REAL jobname. :)

mwestern at sola.com.au mwestern at sola.com.au
Thu May 22 02:37:07 GMT 2003

Hi All,
I've got a very nicely working samba server with cups as the backend.  i
also have a colour printer on which I must do billing every month.

i've done a test page or two and the username comes though to the colour
printer which is good.  problem i had is the jobname in the logs is
smbprn_xxxxxxxx_xx (numbers) which is the samba job name.  if joe bloggs
complains and says he didn't print that many jobs, we've no way of saying
here's what you printed with samba because it's not recognizable to them.
sad.

Does anybody know anything about how the jobname gets crunched etc and can
it be logged to the samba log file somehow in the worst case.  this would
work if there is no way samba/cups can pass though the original name of the
printjob.

On a side note, i've got a pdf printer setup with samba/cups and have
modified the pdf script that writes the pdf to dig out the %%Title from the
postscript file and make that the ending .pdf file.  but obviously i can't
do that with the lpd because it's not a text script.

Anyone got some brilliant ideas?
thanks
Matthew