[Samba] CUPS and Samba 3.0 - printers no show

Ken Sarkies ksarkies at trinity.asn.au
Wed May 14 19:43:57 GMT 2003

Hi [Sambas]

I have RedHat 8.0, and have installed a compiled CUPS 1.1.19pre4 and
Samba 3.0 (latest this week from CVS). It all compiles and installs OK
with CUPS support in Samba, but no printers show up (according to
smbclient -L or from windoze). A reversion to Samba 2.2.8a works
perfectly with the identical setup, including configure options.
Installation and use of printers goes through OK. I assume others have
had success with Samba 3 and CUPS as I haven't seen any problem posts so
far. My ntadmins include administrator accounts for windoze although I
have had hassles with permissions that haven't yet been resolved.

Any ideas or suggestions?

smb.conf

# Global Settings
[global]

   netbios name = HTA41
   workgroup = TRINITY_NT
   server string = Samba Server 3.0 Experimental
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

# PRINTERS

   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   printer admin = @ntadmins

# LOGGING

   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0

# AUTHENTICATION now needs to be done here - setup as BDC

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
   pam password change = yes
   obey pam restrictions = no

# BROWSER CONTROL OPTIONS for BDC

   local master = yes