[Samba] wtmp support

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat May 31 02:15:23 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 02:00, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> I get trouble from my OS, specifically with the finger command, if I have
> wtmp support turned on:
>
> [novosirj at njmsa /opt/src/imap-2002c1]> finger novosirj
> finger: error STATing /dev/smb/31
>
> ...the IS is HP-UX 11. The reason, of course, is because /dev/smb does not
> exist, and neither do any of the files in it. Does anyone know anything
> about creating them, or does Samba not expect them to actually be used,
> or...?
>
> If anyone is more familiar with the technical aspects of the wtmp support,
> your time would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have toyed with the idea of adding hooks that would allow the
administrator to create such links automatically when the user logs in -
indeed the original author of the UTMP support has wanted this for a
while, for exactly this reason.

In the meantime, just adding a smb directory and links to /dev/null will
do the job nicely :-)

This could be considered a bug in finger as much as anything :-)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net