[Samba] Passing domain name to PPP

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat May 31 02:05:29 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 04:13, Tom Hallewell wrote:
> I should probably add some clarifications here.  First, since we have over
> 200 users, we would like to not have to add the users anywhere.  It seems
> like the tweak would have to take place in PAM.
> What we'd really like to do is find a friendly way where PAM can be
> configured to maybe try both (username, domain+username).
> Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Tom

You could set 'winbind use default domain' in the smb.conf.  This is
experimental in Samba 2.2, and supported in Samba 3.0.  (You should not
use the file-server component in samba 2.2 with this option).

This solves the PAP issue.

For MSCHAP(v2) I'll have a patch out next week (just need to get it back
off the development machine it's sitting on) to connect a Samba 3.0
alpha member server to PPP for MSCHAP authentication.  This also allows
things like encryption of the connection.  (I use it for a wireless
gateway).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org