[Samba] Re: pdf printer

Norman Zhang nzhang at arkon-group.com
Fri May 30 23:34:25 GMT 2003

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

> Please use this little HOWTO:
>
>     http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-March/093504.html
>
> The "color" all depends on the PPD you are using. If you use a B/W
Laerprinter
> PPD for this, your PDF will be B/W too. The suggested distiller.ppd should
> be alright. Do you get B/W or Color PDFs from Linux/UNIX/CUPS?

I followed the exact procedure as per above URL, except I grabbed the
adist5.ppd from the Adobe Universal PostScript Installer 1.0.6. Is that
okay? CUPS seems to able to read it. I got color PDF when I installed an
arbitrary color laser printer (HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS. I thought I can
get different paper size with this model) and B/W with a B/W laser printer
(HP LaserJet 2200 PS). Do you have a recommendation for a particular model?

> > I have another question, do I need to add a Color Laser Printer Driver
in
> > W2K to the PDF share to generate color PDF in Windows?
>
> If you read the suggested HOWTO, you'll see that the driver installation
> first takes place on CUPS. Then you have a CUPS PDF printer (also
accessible
> to native CUPS clients).

I have setup CUPS to use PDF printing. I guess I just need to add printer
drivers to the queue? I was adding the drivers from W2K using HP's printer
drivers. I know it is better to use CUPS drivers, but I don't know which
model is good and it seems to be difficult to use cupsaddsmb.

> To install it on W2K, simply download the CUPS driver. Before you download
> it, you need to run cupsaddsmb. Before you run cupsaddsmb, you should read
> "man cupsaddsmb". Even more info about it is here:
>
>    http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/

I have been reading your document for the last 2 days (excellent document
BTW). I guess I will read it again 8)

Regards,
Norman