[Samba] Re: Problems with Win-Username containing a "Umlaut"

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri May 30 19:59:50 GMT 2003

Ciao Silvio,

I pressed "Send" too soon, before I attached the
file "new-codepages.tar.gz" which you should gunzip
and untar with:

   gunzip < new-codepages.tar.gz | tar xvf -

There is also a little correction to the [global]
stanza, which I omitted in the original posting,
see below.

|>I had a little time for head-banging today so I found
|>a slightly less ugly work-around. Apparently the
|>codepage files "codepage.850" and
|>"unicode_map.ISO8859-1" are broken. I've enclosed
|>corrected files in the attachment which you may
|>install in lieu of the old files but don't just
|>overwrite the old files - rename them first, because
|>maybe the old ones may make sense in a different
|>context (for example, when samba team really fixes
|>the problem).
|>
|>With these 2 files installed you can forget all the
|>different complications I described in my previous
|>posting and only need to map the user dörner to his
|>namesake written with \0224. For example you may |>type:
|>
|>echo -en "dörner = d\0224rner" >> /etc/samba/smbusers
|>
|>His entry in /etc/passwd could be something like:
|>
|> dörner:x:597:504:Marc Doerner:/home/dörner:/bin/bash
|>
|>(note the homonymous home dir) while the
|>/etc/samba/smbpasswd may read something like:
|>
|>dörner:597:\
|>  B7766165BCAC70314F1AA3F0384221B3:\
|>  97FA741CCEAD204DAAD3B435B51404EE:\
|>  [U          ]:LCT-3ED26C47:
|>
|>Now the relevant entries in /etc/samba/smb.conf are
|>(Note the "code page directory" specification. |>That's  where you should put the codepages, the old
|>and the new ones. They are  usually in
|>/usr/share/samba/codepages although by default they
|>should be in ${prefix}/lib/codepages. If you specify
|>it, you can put them anywhere):
|>
|>[global]
|>    code page directory = /var/lib/samba/codepages
|>    client code page = 850

;add the following line too:

     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

;because default is no username map.

|>[homes]
|>    path = /home/$U
|>[profiles]
|>    path = /profiles/$U
|>
|>The option "character set" is no more necessary, |>since ISO8859-1 character set will be automatically
|>loaded anyway.
|>
|>There's still the problem that Mr. Doerner can't
|>change his password without the help of the
|>superuser, but I hope I'll get that to work too when
|>I find some more head-banging time.
>
|>Other than that, Mr. Doerner's service (his home
|>share) only appears to be d÷rner ("d\0367rner"),
|>although his login is really "dörner" and his home |>dir is "dörner" too. It's still a little flakey, but
|>soon I'll apply some more duct-tape to it and it
|>will be "dörner" all the way.
|>
|>This is a problem that I ducked away from when I
|>first met it, but there's really no reason to leave
|>it unfinished.

Cheers
Dragan