[Samba] a few questions

Tori Williamson tori at bsitpa.com
Fri May 30 19:09:00 GMT 2003

The best place that I can send you to answer most all of you questions
is http://samba.idealx.org and read the PDF they have for setting up a
Samba PDC environment. If you plan to use Novell NDS/eDirectory for the
backend (LDAP) then beware, there are many caveats. setting up the
sambaAccount object for users does not currently work with the supplied
SMBLDAP scripts, and setting up users by hand is a bear.

I'm running a Netware network with Win2K workstations and wanted to be
able to have network Win logins rather than creating a separate login
for each employee on each workstation. And Novell was not cooperating
with me for using it as an LDAP backend for Samba.

What I wound up doing is setting up a Samba/OpenLDAP PDC to handle the
domain accounts and sync NDS & Win2K logins, so when they change their
passwords on the workstation the novell client changes it in eDirectory
and the SMBLDAP-passwd.pl script from IdealX handles the SMB
passwords... so far it's pretty fluid. It just means you have to enter
people in two separate locations as far as user accounts, but once
that's done it's pretty simple management.

I think the SMB/LDAP/PDC setup is how you will want to go...

-Tori