[Samba] Cups printer shared via samba require drives to be mapped

Melinda Taylor melinda at phys.unsw.edu.au
Fri May 30 05:15:56 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am sharing my cups printers via samba (2.2.7) on a redhat 7.3 machine
running a firewall configured with iptables.

I have included my smb.conf file below. My problem is that windows machines
can setup the printer just fine, search for the
the server astro, the users enter their smb passwd and username and they
can ste up the printer.

However I find everytime they reboot their machine, they can no longer
print to the printer. It is still there but print jobs just sit there. If
the user, accesses a shared drive such as /home or /data. They are able to
print again after clearing the print queue. I have got around this problem
temporarily by mapping a network drive from the server astro on the windows
machines however sometimes, windows for some unknown loses this mapped
drive (even though I have set reconnect at logon).

Does this seem like normal behaviour? Is there someway to get around having
to map a network drive to get the printer to work?

Thanks,

melinda

[global]
    workgroup = ASTROPHYSICS
    server string = Astro
    hosts allow = 129.94.162. 129.94.163. 127.
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    guest account = smb
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    unix password sync = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    pam password change = yes
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    dns proxy = no
[homes]