[Samba] Samba Dropouts...

Andrew Holland SyClops at ehollands.net
Fri May 30 03:47:16 GMT 2003

OK,  I have been banging my head into the wall on this now for two or more
weeks

We have a samba server (2.2.8 then 2.2.8a) running on top of a 320 GB raid
ATA-raid array with a FastTrack controller. Both the server and workstations
are running through Gigabit NIC's.  Every five or so minutes the workstations
loose communications with the server,  Then it takes 10-15 seconds for the
workstations to reconnect to the server.  The times are not specific, for
example it can take anywhere from 1 minute to 3 hours between drop outs, but
when we put a workstation under load it is (approx) 5-7 minutes between drop
outs.  Sometimes all stations loose the connection at once,  sometimes it is
only one workstation.  It does not occur in any other program except Samba.
If I don't get this fixed soon my boss is going to make me go back to
(shutters) windows

Globals section of the smb.conf file goes something like
---
        #Server Identification
        workgroup = GENESIS
        netbios name = EXODUS
        netbios aliases = INSTALLERS
        server string = Fedler studio Samba Server

        #Server Settings
        log file = /data/system/samba/logs/%m.log
        log level = 1
        max log size = 5000
        OS level = 99

        #Security Settings
        security = user
        smb passwd file = /data/system/samba/smbpasswd
        encrypt passwords = yes
        pam password change = yes
        #Networking settings
#        interfaces = 10.0.0.16/24
#        dns proxy = no
        wins support = yes
        preferred master = yes

        #Domain Controller propertys
        domain logons = yes
        logon drive = y:
        logon home = \\EXODUS\%U
        logon script = logon.bat
        domain admin group = @dAdmin
        [netlogon]
                path = /data/system/samba/netlogon
                comment = network Logon Share
                guest ok = yes
                writable = no
                share modes = no
---

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated

Andrew