[Samba] client side permisions of a samba directory

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Thu May 29 22:49:38 GMT 2003

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:25:38AM -0700, Steve deRosier wrote:
> I've recently noticed that when I have a directory remotely mounted via
> samba to my linux desktop, the mode bits of directories and files in it
> don't necessarily resemble those of the actual files on the server.
> Neither does a chmod seem to have any effect.
>
> I noticed that smbmount has a fmask and a dmask argument and these
> arguments control what I view the mode as.  Leaving out these arguments
> just gets me a different mask.
>
> Question:  How can I get my mounted directory to simply behave just like
> any other directory?  I just want to be able to view and modify the REAL
> mode bits from my konsole.

Answer: don't use smbfs. You can't see or change the permissions on
smbfs-mounted filesystems. If you need to be able to change permissions
you should use some UNIX-native filesystem, like NFS.

I think I've heard that the upcoming Linux replacement for smbfs (cifs)
and the "unix extensions" in current versions of Samba will work much
better for UNIX-UNIX mounts, but I haven't looked in to that.

--
Michael Heironimus