[Samba] Making winbindd and pam_mount play nice together (2nd try)

Bradley Wendelboe bradley.wendelboe at polarisind.com
Thu May 29 22:33:14 GMT 2003

Yes, I'm going to individual shares.  It seems that pam_mount is not getting
the password information from the PAM system.  I've contacted the author of
pam_mount and will share any results.

So far:

Several people are trying to get pam_mount working with winbind.  I don't
have a winbind setup myself, so it is difficult for me to debug.  Please be
patient.

The only hypothesis I have at this point revolves around pam_mounts use of
functions like getpwnam to retrieve information about a user's account.
Theoretically, if one configures /etc/nsswitch.conf correctly, getpwnam can
use services besides /etc/passwd (ie: winbind) to answer questions about a
user.
Pam_mount uses getpwnam to do the following:

1.  Determine where ~/.pam_mount.conf is.

2.  Determine the UID and GID that should own a mount point created by
pam_mount.

3.  Determine the UID and GID that should own a user's session count file
(/var/run/pam_mount/<user>).

4.  Ensure a user owns mount points and volumes for volumes defined by
~/.pam_mount.conf.

The only other suspect action I can think of is pam_mount's retrieval of a
user's password from the PAM system.  I don't think this should be an issue
if you use pam_winbind to authenticate users.

Do any of these hints help?