[Samba] Migrating Profiles: Revisited

Dan Gapinski DanGapinski at qsi-r2.com
Thu May 29 20:39:49 GMT 2003

I was in the same boat as you , and found an easy way to do this. So long as
you have a PDC that resists roaming profiles, it should go like this:
    1) Join the computer and log on with the domain account.
    2) Log off the domain account and log on again as administrator (I think
I used the local admin, though it shouldn't matter).
    3) Go to where you manage the profiles in System Properties, and set the
new profile (marked by the domain name) to Local if it isn't already, and
then copy the previous workgroup/local profile to the place on your HD where
the new domain local profile is.

That's it. When you log on, it should be back, though I did have problems
with losing Outlook account passwords (I hate that program) and a bug in
Office 2K prevents you from opening graphics using Photo Editor, but there
is a M$ KB article on that, as it gives you a  specific error that you will
find an easy search result for (I'm just forgetting what it is).

My best,
Dan Gapinski