[Samba] Weird permissions on samba shared printers

Strange, John John.Strange at marconi.com
Thu May 29 19:01:57 GMT 2003

Well,

I'm having some odd permissions created when I install a shared printer from
a samba server.  No matter what the remote host is I'll always end up with
the following permissions on printers when installed on a client.

http://www.strangeness.org/security.jpg

I've got the drivers to update perfectly and now this is my last hurdle in
setting up the print server.  It seems to work okay but I still don't like
the way it creates the permissions.  I've tried searching google and finding
somewhat related issues but they never seem to get anywhere so I'm hoping
someone can help me find the answer.

Here's some related information about the server and config:

samba 2.2.7

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
	workgroup = xxxxxxxxx
	netbios name = xxxxxxxx
	server string = Samba Server %v
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	load printers = yes
	printing = lprng
	guest account = nobody
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	security = domain
	password server = xxxxxxxxxx
	encrypt passwords = yes
   	update encrypted = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	remote browse sync = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	local master = yes
	os level = 66
	preferred master = yes
	wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	dns proxy = no
	show add printer wizard = yes
	printer admin = xxxxxxxx

[print$]
    path = /var/spool/samba/printers
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    ; since this share is configured as read only, then we need
    ; a 'write list'.  Check the file system permissions to make
    ; sure this account can copy files to the share.  If this
    ; is setup to a non-root account, then it should also exist
    ; as a 'printer admin'
    write list = jstrange
[printers]
	comment = All Printers