[Samba] client side permisions of a samba directory

Steve deRosier derosier at pianodisc.com
Thu May 29 16:25:38 GMT 2003

All,

I've recently noticed that when I have a directory remotely mounted via
samba to my linux desktop, the mode bits of directories and files in it
don't necessarily resemble those of the actual files on the server.
Neither does a chmod seem to have any effect.

I noticed that smbmount has a fmask and a dmask argument and these
arguments control what I view the mode as.  Leaving out these arguments
just gets me a different mask.

Question:  How can I get my mounted directory to simply behave just like
any other directory?  I just want to be able to view and modify the REAL
mode bits from my konsole.

Info:
client - Mandrake Linux 9.1, smbmount version 2.2.7a, smbclient version
2.2.7a
server - RH 7.3, smbd version 2.2.3a

mount command:
smbmount //ENGSWDEV/derosier /home/derosier/mnt/ENGSWDEV/derosier/ -o
username=derosier%*********,fmask=644,dmask=755,uid=501,gid=501,
ip=192.168.100.14,debug=0,workgroup=PIANODISC

Note->I know I'm running an old version of smbd on the server.  Please
don't tell me "you need to upgrade" unless it actually makes a
difference in the problem I'm having; there are too many people here
that can't afford the outage with the time it will take to do an upgrade.

Thanks,
- Steve