[Samba] Question on Profiles when users join the Domain

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed May 28 19:25:04 GMT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Jason Williams wrote:

> Hello everyone. I will keep this question as brief as possible.
>
> As it is now, our users are all set in a workgroup environment using local
> profiles. I have setup our Samba PDC with LDAP to use roaming profiles.
> My question is this:
> Users right now use a local profile. How do I make sure that when these
> users and computers join the PDC, their profiles (desktop settings, icons
> etc) will carry over the the PDC for their roaming profiles?
>
> My fear is that my users will loose their desktop settings when they join
> the PDC. How can I avoid this and make sure they retain all their settings
> that are being used on their local profiles.

As administrator on their local workstation you need to copy (migrate
using the system tools on the workstation) the profile to a domain user
profile and in the process copy it to the central domain profile server
share.

This is documented in the new Samba-HOWTO.

http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

See chapter 22, section 22.2.4

- John T.
--