[Samba] WINT-NT is working as PDC and Redhat Linux Samba BDC and how to use rsync?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed May 28 19:19:50 GMT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Yeri Swamy wrote:

> John H Terpstra wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 28 May 2003, Yeri Swamy wrote:
> >

> >>Thanks a lot! for ur speedy reply...
> >>The link u sent i looked at it very closely... i am still confused what
> >>to do...
> >>
> >>It is not explained anywhere howto setup LDAP for Linux Samba BDC..
> >>

> >If you implement a Samba based solution you need a Samba SAM (Security
> >Account Managment) database. The soon to be released Samba-3 fully
> >supports two SAM solutions that will store the extended security
> >information needed to implement a true replacement for MS Windows NT.
> >These are tdbsam and ldapsam.
> >
> >See chapter on "Account Information Database", sub-section on LDAP back
> >end.
> >
> >Samba-3 ldapsam is the only passdb backend that allows scalability across
> >Samba PDC/BDC configurations. See Chapter on "Backup Domain Control" for
> >information about how this works.
> >
>      Thanks a ton...
>
>     Please bear with me coz before coming to you i did search tons of
> links with no proper clear cut details...
>
>      This means NT PDC and Samba BDC to work like(NT PDC & NT BDC i.e if
> PDC fails BDC will take over)

No read my reply carefully:

	Samba CAN NOT be a BDC to an NT PDC!

>      we have to wait till we get a tool/utility  tdbsam which will
> gather all the machine account. users and groups info from NT will
> convert into meaningfull format that Samba BDC can understand then Samba
> BDC will work like a horse as BDC when NT PDC fails...

No. You can migrate your NT PDC SAM account information to a Samba PDC
using the "vampire" tool. Then you will need to replace your NT PDC with a
Samba PDC, if you want a Samba BDC to work correctly.

You should NOT use tdbsam for ANY Samba PDC/BDC combination. The tdbsam is
only intended for sites that do NOT need a BDC.

>  And with ldapsam we can only have Samba PDC and Samba BDC and this case
> if Samba PDC fails then Samba BDC will take over

With Samba-3 using ldapsam you can have a Samba PDC and as many Samba BDCs
are you like. The real benefit of this is that machine account password
changes will be stored in a common LDAP backend.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org