[Samba] Cross Subnet WINS?

George Kasica georgek at netwrx1.com
Wed May 28 12:28:12 GMT 2003

Not sure if this would apply but a while ago in a Cisco router world,
I need the command

ip helper-address A.B.C.D <= Your SAMBA/WINS Server IP Address

to get he various wins boxes to be seen across the network. I put one
in for each WINS Server on each router and all was well.

George

>Have you walked through the DIAGNOSIS.txt troubleshooting guide?
>This is test 8, I believe.
>Joel
>
>On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:58:04PM -0500, ganapathy murali krishnan wrote:
>>
>> I have a question about WINS across subnets. I am
>> *not* interested in cross subnet browsing.
>>
>> SAMBASERVER is my PDC as well as WINS.
>> I run "net view \\CLIENT" on a windows machine
>> A which is on the same subnet as my SAMBASERVER
>> and everything works fine.
>> If I run the same command on a windows machine B
>> on another subnet it does not work. The network
>> interface on B has been configured to use SAMBASERVER
>> (rather its IP address) as the WINS server.
>>
>> I dont know if this is important. But A is on a wired
>> network, and B is on a wireless network.
>>
>> - Murali
>>
>> --

George, MR. Tibbs, Nazerene, Ginger/The Beast Kasica(8/1/88-3/19/01, 1/17/02-)
Jackson, WI USA
georgek at netwrx1.com
http://www.netwrx1.com/georgek
ICQ #12862186