[Samba] Ports for printing

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue May 27 23:09:57 GMT 2003

The output of:
cat /etc/services | grep -i bios

netbios-ns	137/tcp				# NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns	137/udp
netbios-dgm	138/tcp				# NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm	138/udp
netbios-ssn	139/tcp				# NETBIOS session service
netbios-ssn	139/udp

You don't need all of these, some are essentially non-functional and present
no security hazard. To see which ports your server is listening on:
netstat -apn | grep -i smbd
tcp 0 0   0.0.0.0:139  0.0.0.0:*   LISTEN   2250/smbd
If smbd is started by xinitd or initd, you won't see the output above.
Then, xinitd will be watching that port.
nmbd listens on ports 137 and 138, udp. I do not know what a Datagram
service is, BTW.

Joel