[Samba] Controlling access to shares: Using Samba 2.2.8 and LDAP

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue May 27 16:09:00 GMT 2003

Good morning everyone!

I have a question about controlling access to shares using Samba as a PDC
with LDAP on the backend, holding all the data for users, computers etc...

Basically, our PDC is going to hold all of our applications as well as data
that our users will be using. For instance, we have a program called Point
that is has a network installation. On the network drive, it holds all the
information, data, templates etc. Thus, each client that uses point has the
program setup to point to the server to find the appropriate locations. For
example, on a NT server:

c:\point\data
c:\point\templates

and so forth.

My question is, if I create a specific share on my PDC, let's call it
/home/point, obviously I will need to make sure that my users will have the
necessary permissions to be able to access the data and read, write and
execute (or whatever permissions I see fit that they need).

BUT, im using LDAP, which throws a little into the mix. My question is, do
I add the groups in LDAP, then add the users to that group that will be
apart of that group? Then I need to edit the share in smb.conf and make
sure that the group and users have the correct permissions?

I understand how to set this up in Samba alone, but being that im using
LDAP, it throws more questions into the mix.

Thanks everyone.

Jason