[Samba] smbpasswd doesn't work

Ulrich Schweitzer us at ifb.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue May 27 13:04:25 GMT 2003

Hi!

I have a problem with smbpasswd. When a user tries to change his samba
password with smbpasswd, it asks for the old and new password and then
gives the following error message:

machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session setup. Error was :
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.
Failed to change password for schweitz

'ls -lu /etc/samba/smbpasswd' shows that the file isn't even read during
the attempt to change the password.
Everything else works fine: I can logon from windows machines and I can
access all shares with smbclient.

I'm running the lates rpm (samba-2.2.7-3.7.3) from redhat on redhat 7.3.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

TIA
Ulrich
--
Ulrich Schweitzer
Institut fuer Flugzeugbau, Universitaet Stuttgart