[Samba] Doubts about sharing a winprinter

Alfonso A. webmaster at open-code.net
Tue May 27 11:36:08 GMT 2003

I think I got the same problem again,

GREENDEMON:/home/alfonso# lpadmin -p sscript610 -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/laserjet.ppd
lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible

The lpinfo command shows:

GREENDEMON:/home/alfonso# lpinfo -v
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp2
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp3
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp4
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp5
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp6
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp7
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp8
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp9
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp10
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp11
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp12
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp13
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp14
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15

And,

GREENDEMON:/home/alfonso# /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel

doesn't do anything. I tried to install the module printer but,

GREENDEMON:/home/alfonso# insmod printer
insmod: printer: no module by that name found

So I guess I should recompile the kernel to compile the printer module, isn't it?

Thanks a lot for all the incovenience Kurt, I'm starting to feel my own sillyness :(