[Samba] Doubts about sharing a winprinter

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue May 27 01:30:25 GMT 2003

Alfonso A. webmaster at open-code.net wrote on Samba-Digest

> Mon May 26 21:40:49 GMT 2003
>

> With the NEC Silentwriter Supercript 610 printer hooked in my Debian box, I get this error:
>
> GREENDEMON:~# lpadmin -p sscript610 -v parallel:/dev/null -E -m laserjet.ppd
> lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible

It means the lpadmin command couldn't find the parallel port. CUPS lists all
"devices" it can use, if you submit the "lpinfo -v" command:

    lpinfo -v
    lpinfo -v | grep parallel

You can also start the parallel backend with no additional arguments. Then
you should see this:

   kde-bitshop:~> /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel
   direct parallel:/dev/lp0 "Unknown" "Parallel Port #1"

CUPS does the same at each startup (run all backends once with no arguments).
This provides the basis to know what device-URIs are available. If the parallel
port was not available when cupsd started, you can't install a printer on it.

> I don't know if the list of modules that I have loaded will help quite much, but here they are:
>
> GREENDEMON:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> gamecon                 5512   0  (unused)
> joydev                  6752   0  (unused)
> lp                      6048   0  (autoclean)
> agpgart                26720   3  (autoclean)
> nvidia               1467712  10  (autoclean)
> parport_pc             14984   1  (autoclean)
> parport                13824   1  [gamecon lp parport_pc]
> mod_quickcam           39524   0  (unused)
> uhci                   24552   0  (unused)
> usbcore                61600   0  [mod_quickcam uhci]
> ide-scsi                7456   0
> via82cxxx_audio        17824   0
> es1371                 26752   0
> soundcore               3492   6  [via82cxxx_audio es1371]
> ac97_codec             10048   0  [via82cxxx_audio es1371]
> gameport                1452   0  [es1371]
> 3c59x                  25096   1
> input                   3296   0  [gamecon joydev]

Did you try "insmod printer", "lsmod | grep printer", re-start cupsd,
and try "lpinfo -v | grep parallel" again?