[Samba] Call for help with Samba Printing and WinNT

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Mon May 26 20:28:43 GMT 2003

>Thanks for your reply. I have been using the absolute
>latest rpcclient from Samba 3 CVS, so I expect that
>the bug is fixed. It installs the drivers but not
>such that WinNT/TSE can use. However WinXP can use
>exactly the same ones. Apart from a feature (not
>necessarily a bug) in rpcclient that WinNT/TSE
>doesn't like, the only other possible thing I can
>imagine is a problem with permissions in my
>installation. However installation by Windows GUIs
>from both WinNT/TSE and WinXP/HE under various
>accounts work flawlessly for WinNT/TSE. Oh well, its
>been fun chasing it up, but without intimate
>knowledge of what WinNT/TSE wants I can't get much
>more insight.

If you can forget the GUI for a moment perhaps you
can install the printer on the WinNT/TSE by a
work-around, which goes something like this:

System Panel -> Printers -> Add...
Local Printer, No automatic search
Create a new port of type Local Port
As Port name type "\\yoursamba\yourprinter"
Choose the driver from the assistent's list etc.

Sure downloading all drivers automatically is the
holy grail, but if the above procedure works (which
it mustn't necessarily), who cares?