[Samba] Doubts about sharing a winprinter

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon May 26 13:25:03 GMT 2003

> Message: 22
> Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:00:19 +0200
> From: Alfonso A. <webmaster at open-code.net>
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Doubts about sharing a winprinter
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
>
> I know that my printer is compatible with the HP Laserjet II printer,

In this case it is *not* purely what is commonly called a Winprinter.
You say you "know" it is compatible. Well, then first make it print
when it is hooked (at the parallel port, I suppose?) directly to the
Debian box (as root):

   lpadmin -p sscript610 -v parallel:/dev/null -E -m laserjet.ppd

Test if it prints with that PPD....

Then check if the "smb://" backend is available on your Debian:

   lpinfo -v | grep smb

If it is not there, create it:

   ln -s `which smbspool` /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

(I suppose you get an answer to the question "which smbspool"....)
Then you should hook it back at your Win98 box. Supposing you have
"shared" it, install it on the Debian with this command:

   lpadmin -p ss610w98 -v smb://[Win98netbiosname]/[superscriptsharename] -E -P /etc/cups/ppd/sscript610.ppd

Check if it is installed:

   lpstat -t

Print.

Oh, and don't forget to read up at

   http://localhost:631/sam.html
   http://localhost:631/sum.html

next time you sit in fron of your Debian box....