[Samba] Problems with NT passwords on samba 2.2.8 and earlierversions.

Marian Mlcoch, Ing mm at tsmp.sk
Mon May 26 06:03:01 GMT 2003

Hi Dennis
you write but no read what manpage say about security=server mode that is:
SECURITY = SERVER

In this mode Samba will try to validate the username/password by passing it
to another SMB server, such as an NT box. If this fails it will revert to
security = user, but note that if encrypted passwords have been negotiated
then Samba cannot revert back to checking the UNIX password file, it must
have a valid smbpasswd file to check users against. See the documentation
file in the docs/ directory ENCRYPTION.txt for details on how to set this
up.

Note that from the client's point of view security = server is the same as
security = user. It only affects how the server deals with the
authentication, it does not in any way affect what the client sees.

Note that the name of the resource being requested is not sent to the server
until after the server has successfully authenticated the client. This is
why guest shares don't work in user level security without allowing the
server to automatically map unknown users into the guest account. See the
map to guest parameter for details on doing this.

See also the section NOTE ABOUT USERNAME/PASSWORD VALIDATION.

See also the password server parameter and the encrypted passwords
parameter.

SECURITY = DOMAIN

This mode will only work correctly if smbpasswd(8) has been used to add this
machine into a Windows NT Domain. It expects the encrypted passwords
parameter to be set to yes. In this mode Samba will try to validate the
username/password by passing it to a Windows NT Primary or Backup Domain
Controller, in exactly the same way that a Windows NT Server would do.

Your problem is writed and can be resolved by change security to domain or
another way to sync changes on passwd using winbind or ldap...

Thats all folks.