[Samba] Call for help with Samba Printing and WinNT

Ken Sarkies matou at picknowl.com.au
Sun May 25 20:07:30 GMT 2003

Hi Chris

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 01:13, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 03:15, Ken Sarkies wrote:
>
> > Although there are rumours that
> > WinXP/HE gives networking problems, I found that as long as the
> > username/passwords were setup identically to those on the WinNT/TSE PDC
> > and on the Samba machines, there was no difficulty connecting to shares
> > and printers and even to MS-Exchange from the WinXP/HE machines. In fact
> > it was quite smooth (sorry-have to be honest).
>
> This is normal operation. XP HOME cannot participate as a domain member
> and therefore one must duplicate the account. In some scenarios a
> reconnect to shares will require additional attention at every login.
> Windows machines have been sharing peer-to-peer style (no PDC) for a
> long time, no reason to be so surprised by it.

Not surprised, just that it works for us while others were having
apparent problems (maybe our needs are simpler).

> > we can use the WinNT/TSE AddPrinter GUI to
> > install printer drivers into the Samba PRINT$ share for the raw
> > printers.
>
> This is my preferred way of installing Windows native or manufacturer
> supplied printer drivers.
>
> > Continuing on, we can now try the Linux commandline method of installing
> > the printer driver.
>
> You have too much time on your hands<g>.

Maybe, but a bit of extra time is valuable when it comes to getting a
better understanding of the beast. In any case, it only needs about 10
minutes (when it works).

> > Now for the crunch. We go to the WinNT/TSE server and we can see the
> > driver mentioned against the printer properties. However when we click
> > “install” (equivalent to “connect” on other Wins), it complains that
> > there is no suitable driver of that name on the PRINT$ share.
>
> Did you install an NT4 driver? Look at the "Additional Drivers" dialog
> box for the printer in question for the versions listed.

The identical one that I installed under the GUI, using the same driver
files. The issue seems to be with the registration in the tdbs, or even,
dare I say it, a problem in my samba installation.

> > Thus while we cannot install a driver using cupsaddsmb, we can do so
> > through the Win GUI interface, so all is not lost.
>
> Cupsaddsmb, will not, AFAIK, install a raw printer (you mention above
> you're working with a raw printer queue). When you assign a PPD to a
> CUPS queue it is no longer a raw printer and that PPD must be associated
> with either the CUPS or the Adobe PS drivers which must have already
> been properly located.

No indeed, the raw printer was only used for the above procedures.
Cupsaddsmb installs an existing CUPS printer (thus different driver
files using a Foomatic PPD etc), but uses the same rpcclient calls as
were used above.