Update [Samba] root can't login to smb-ldap-pdc

Bas Goes b.e.a.goes at student.utwente.nl
Sun May 25 13:08:40 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 18:08, Chris McKeever wrote:
> are your other root related samba functions working correctly?
> such as smbpasswd -a USERNAME?

Yep,
The ldap story is all ok, i can add and login any new user. The ldap
directory is correctly populated for root afaik, there are the same
password hashes in there as for my test machine and ldap pam works

> just wondering if you did the smbpasswd -w PASSWORD
> for the root account.

Yes, rootdn password is stored in secrets.tdb

> Shot in the dark here - since the root samba pasword is stored in a secrets
> file, maybe there isnt one in the LDAP, and therefore your get your error.
> Maybe run smbpasswd for the root (without the -w) so it populates the LDAP
> directory.

Password hashes are in place as a said before.

> try a search using your ldap rootdn for the ntPassword,lmPassword of the
> root user..

No problem, as rootdn or as user root, I get all entries from user root.
And as I said before normal users can login.
Thanks for your suggestions, but I have a feeling it's got something to
do with not being able to su root not because of the password but
because of some permission or security setting but I can not figure out
what.
So I put the log level a bit higher. Now there seems to be a new check
in username.c against a list root instead of list. Root is in that list
and so samba makes me guest. When I login as administrator
I am accepted just like in the 2.2.6 samba which checks against list,
not list root. Has this got something to do with the root exploit fixed
in 2.2.8a?
Do I have to make some administrator able to have write priviliges in
/var/lib/samba so it can add computers or am I completely wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Bas